Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Growing Up

A well known saying states that "while growing up is inevitable, maturity is optional." Although true, Im not sure doing so is very desirable, for both yourself and those around you. Four years ago I stepped out of my house in Fairfax, Virginia and my family and I began a road trip to Miami, Florida, stopping briefly in Disney World for a quick family vacation. Here I sit four years later in Winston-Salem, North Carolina to continue my education, where I will work towards my Masters Degree in Health and Exercise Science. Over the course of the past four years, I believe, I have learned alot, both in and out of the classroom.
Getting old sucks....mostly. For this reason it is a definite goal of mine not to do so to quickly. Fortunately I still look like Im 18, I guess thats a positive? Or maybe it will be later in life. As stated by the quote, aging is inevitable and maturity is indeed optional, BUT maturity is not the same thing as aging. Maturity can be good, and doesn't necessarily make us into old geezers. Therefore, I would like to believe that the growing up I have done over the past four years has been "good growing up." I still enjoy laughing at childish jokes "immature" jokes, and I think that's ok. There are many things that I can do today however that I simply was not good at dealing with four years ago. I am better at planning and organizing my life, and putting things into perspective. Consequently I am better equipped to deal with setbacks, both in the classroom and during training. I am proud of myself for making it to where I am today and feel very blessed to have done so. There is a fine line between maturing and maturing too much. It is vital to keep this delicate balance in our lives, or else sacrifice our youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment