Monday, December 30, 2013

Wanna get high?

Please excuse my inner scientist.

The other day my good friend from undergrad, John Savage, flew in to D.C. on a red-eye for a New Years Reunion (for those interested, John blogs at: http://savagesentiments.blogspot.com/). The series of texts exchanged by John and I went as follows:

John: "In dc"
Me: "Awesome, headed to hotel?"
John: "Ya, caught the super shuttle."
John: "Checked in. Aim for run at 2?"
Me: "Sounds good, Ill pick you up at the metro."

Now, John and I don't claim to be a shining example of healthy living. We both enjoy the more than occasional, big mexican burrito and too many beers. Heck, I eat ice cream almost nightly. But let's say instead of a triathlete, John was a pothead. If John were a smoker, the first thing he would have done when he got off the plane was to light up. The difference? Endorphins over THC, instead of hitting up a dealer, he hits me up for a run. While I don't want to spark a big debate about whether or not weed is as "bad" for you as people make it out to be, I think we can all agree that going for a run is a healthier option.

Before writing this I wasn't really sure what the numbers were for people who smoke weed, compared to people who run. I have to say, I am shocked. 
In 2011, 12x more people regularly smoked marijuana than completed a half-marathon!!!!!! I don't hold it against people that they smoke. In fact I know a number of very fit athletes that have. To each their own. That said, here are some more facts:
  • The average smoker spends more than $1,000 on weed yearly.
  • The average price of a running shoe= 100 bucks, replaced 3-4x, $400/yearly
The choice is yours. 

3 comments:

  1. Why not run to your weed dealer's house??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know where you get your shoes from, but the average price for a pair of shoes is over a $100 bucks Greg ;>)

    ReplyDelete