TRI THIS

TRI THIS

Monday, December 30, 2013

Wanna get high?

Please excuse my inner scientist.

The other day my good friend from undergrad, John Savage, flew in to D.C. on a red-eye for a New Years Reunion (for those interested, John blogs at: http://savagesentiments.blogspot.com/). The series of texts exchanged by John and I went as follows:

John: "In dc"
Me: "Awesome, headed to hotel?"
John: "Ya, caught the super shuttle."
John: "Checked in. Aim for run at 2?"
Me: "Sounds good, Ill pick you up at the metro."

Now, John and I don't claim to be a shining example of healthy living. We both enjoy the more than occasional, big mexican burrito and too many beers. Heck, I eat ice cream almost nightly. But let's say instead of a triathlete, John was a pothead. If John were a smoker, the first thing he would have done when he got off the plane was to light up. The difference? Endorphins over THC, instead of hitting up a dealer, he hits me up for a run. While I don't want to spark a big debate about whether or not weed is as "bad" for you as people make it out to be, I think we can all agree that going for a run is a healthier option.

Before writing this I wasn't really sure what the numbers were for people who smoke weed, compared to people who run. I have to say, I am shocked. 
In 2011, 12x more people regularly smoked marijuana than completed a half-marathon!!!!!! I don't hold it against people that they smoke. In fact I know a number of very fit athletes that have. To each their own. That said, here are some more facts:
  • The average smoker spends more than $1,000 on weed yearly.
  • The average price of a running shoe= 100 bucks, replaced 3-4x, $400/yearly
The choice is yours. 

3 comments:

  1. Why not run to your weed dealer's house??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know where you get your shoes from, but the average price for a pair of shoes is over a $100 bucks Greg ;>)

    ReplyDelete