Monday, May 3, 2010

These are my people

A week and a half left and I will be out of Williamsburg till late August, i still cant really believe how fast this year has gone. Ill definitely miss being at school and miss all of my friends who are graduating this year, however the stress of finals certainly wont be missed. At the moment I guess I have chosen to deal with this stress by writing in the good ol' blog.

So last night when "studying" with Cory I registered for my road racing license with US Cycling. This means two things, this summer i will not be going to Quantico for OCS, this is pretty disappointing given all I went through to try and get in. But I feel like my dad said it well when I told him and he told me he was sorry but "If its meant to be it will happen" clearly this summer it was not meant to be i guess...Anyway the great news is that I will get to race bikes all summer while I work to get myself in shape for Duathlon Worlds in September! I am determined this summer to become a Category 3 rider. I feel like its really not that outlandish given that a good portion of the collegiate B's whom I rode just as well as this collegiate season are already Cat 3's. I'm not sure what team I will ride for this summer however. It was great getting to ride with the guys of the powerhouse NCVC last summer no doubt, and it is definitely cool knowing that no matter what race you do in DC, Maryland, or VA, you are almost assured to have a teammate. Unfortunately most of the group rides with NCVC start in Washington, which is a little bit of an inconvenience for me try get to. I did meet some great guys on WWVC last summer during the weekday T/R rides out of Wakefield Rec Center. There are definitely some very strong riders in that bunch who taught me and Dockins (an NCVC teammate) last summer a thing or to about how to hang onto a wheel for dear life because its about to bomb down a hill into a turn at 35 mph, and knowing proper bike handling turns out to be pretty important when you are moving that fast through a neighborhood id say. I guess these blazing 22+ mph rides made me feel a sense of debt to WWVC, and for that reason I think I will talk to these guys when I get back about the possibility of joining.


Anyway, the past couple of days have definitely been good times. Blowout was, as always, a good celebration of the end of classes. Met some cool people, which I always enjoy getting to do. The day after Cory and I decided to venture across the river and take the ferry to Surry for a bit of a long ride, in fact, the longest ride of my life and definitely a memorable one. Bonking is frustrating, you simply dont have the energy to pedal anymore at anywhere near a decent power. I did NOT bonk. The human body is meant to exercise, but after 6 hours my runners body simply was aching like it has never hurt before. Cory and i rode 120 miles, stopping occasionally for water/gatorade and maybe a chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich or some devil fudge cake. After the 120 mile and 6 hour endeavor I returned to my room where I sat with my legs up against a wall and passed out while facebooking on my laptop. It was a great ride and Im glad Cory invites me for such endeavors, it definitely takes a special kind of person to desire to subject themselves to such a thing as to putting 6 or 7 hours of saddle time in on one day, THESE ARE MY PEOPLE. Thanks again to Cory for working with me this semester and helping me create a training plan that has allowed me to blossom as a cyclist and a duathlete. Im definitely excited to see what the future has in store for me this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment