Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mid week ramblings

So I normally struggle to keep this thing updated even one time a week but I have the time this week so why not go wild?

Anyway, Le Tour certainly has been interesting thus far. Although I admit to being a tad disappointed with the disappearance of Lance so early on, I do think that it has in fact made the Tour more interesting in general. Instead of hearing people constantly talking about how Lance did today and how far back Lance is we get to hear about the younger cyclists, who may not have won seven Tours, but they most certainly are exciting to watch.

For example, watching Cav and Renshaw work together in a sprint is absolutely incredible. Today in Stage 11, Renshaw was HEADBUTTING and slamming into the guy next to him at speeds near 40mph with 400m to go in order to give Cav the leadout he knew would lead him to his 13th victory in Le Tour! I was amused as soon as Renshaw pulled off the announcers gave Cav the victory well before he even crossed the line. The dude is a freak of nature and the Columbia HTC leadout train certainly is one of the strongest the sport has ever seen! As for the competition for the maillot de jaune, Im definitely happy with it resting on Schlek's shoulders for now. I would love nothing more than to see him take it from Contador and Astana. Schlek certainly is lucky to have riders like Voigt and Cancellara on his team. After Stage 9 in the mountains and Voigt's incredible effort to propel Contador and Schlek up the mountain to catch the break I would seriously not be surprised if Voigt would sacrifice his life for Schlek, what a beast!

As for my training this week it has been pretty good. The effects of the Colonial Tri, definitely affected me on Monday and Tuesday a little bit, but now I feel in general pretty recovered from the effort. Heres what the week has looked like for me thus far:

Monday- Easy 20 mile recovery spin to flush out the legs from the Colonial Tri on Sunday
Tuesday- 2 loops around Burke Lake (Both around 29). 9.5 miles
Wakefield bike ride- lots of guys up in the A group, felt strong and was able to throw in a few good surges, including a hard effort that dropped all but 3 of us (Dockins, myself, and some rider from WWVC)In total approx 30 miles
Wednesday- Hard ride in Clifton with Dockins 2 hours 15 min for 47 miles
Thursday- 3150m swim in the morning (Main set 100,200,300,400,1 min rest, 400,300,200,100) 10 sec rest between intervals
Burke Lake Loop at tempo effort, ran 2830, was deadly hot (upper 90s) approx 6 min pace

Racing at Giro di Coppi 3/4 this weekend. Should be fun race, lots of up and down which could definitely benefit me! Finally get to race against ex-Tribe cycling team member Owen Hassig! Thanks for reading and hope everyone enjoys the weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a solid week so far buddy. I got a 43 mile ride yesterday with a 10 mile brick run at 7 pace. Today hit 8.6 at 6:38 pace. I'll get in the pool someday... haha, hopefully TWICE this weekend. That's right, twice. Any tips for getting faster in the water? Is it form or consistency of getting in the water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im no swimming pro, but I definitely have to say that in terms of getting faster in the water the key is form. There are lots of people who are not in nearly the shape we are that can throttle us in the swim. That said, the key to form no doubt is consistency. I can feel myself swimming much more relaxed and using long strokes without even trying to but just as a byproduct of consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and you continue to make me feel like a lazy-ass even from across the country... way to be man haha

    ReplyDelete