Sunday, July 25, 2010

Easiest 5k ever.

The past few days have been about the hottest temperatures I have ever dealt with. Saturday, as I discussed last week was supposed to be the big day. I was all set to run my PR for a 5k. The week started out hard, and got easier 2 days before the race. Thursday I rode at Wakefield and it was the first time all year that I was not constantly attacking every time my heart rate dropped to a point where I felt like I could put a good hurting on my compatriots. Friday i did an easy ride and a short run and Saturday I felt good. The weather however, did not.

Sometime on Friday the weather decided to politely give me and my PR chances the finger and that was all she wrote. Saturday when I woke up at 8am after closing the deli the night before the temperature was already in the upper 80's, this is bad. It got worse when the family, including my little sister Lauren, went to DC and the walk between the air and space museum and the museum of natural history felt like I had bonked at the end of a half marathon. The heat was the kind that got inside of you and zaps you of all energy. Upon arriving back at my house i called my coach Debbie B. of Youcandoit out of Fredericksburg and we decided that a swim this afternoon was a better idea than killing myself in the brutal heat. The swim was my 3rd swim of the week, a feat I havent accomplished since school at sWiM club, when I got injured and couldnt run for 2 weeks. The swim went well and then after Nate, Charlie, and I (2 of my friends at USNA, and USMA) went to see Inception in an air conditioned theater, that beats a 5k any day!

Next week up is Culpeper Sprint Tri. This was my second ever tri last year. Im definitely stoked and looking to put together a much better overall performance in all 3 components than I did last year. The fact that i dont have to worry about an untied shoe lace 1 minute into the run should help! ;) Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck this weekend bro! Sounds like solid week as always. I got 3 swims this week too- crazy right? Guess we're just ballers like that.
    This heat is hella ridic- it was about 90-95 during the triathlon today...the water was like a bathtub and it only got hotter by the time we were moving on to the 10k. It definitely hated on everyones splits. Finished 3rd in age group tho so I'll take it... Imma be home next weekend if you're around before or after your race yo

    ReplyDelete