Monday, August 2, 2010

Culpeper Sprint Tri

This weekend was my second time racing the Culpeper Sprint Triathlon. That officially means that I have been racing triathlon/multisport for over a year! The weeks leading up to the race I really focused on my swimming. I mentioned briefly last week that I was now training under Debi Bernardes, owner of Ucandoit multisport coaching out of Fredericksburg. Debi has been great thus far, she has got me doing things that I wasn't doing on my own, such as speed work and things to work my anaerobic system in addition to getting me in the water 3-4x a week. The water part made a huge difference. Last year I swam a high 13, this year I swam 3 minutes faster! First 1/3 of the race, monster success.

T1 went alright, the insole in my shoe came up and clumped under my foot, which sucked, but in the first mile of the bike I passed probably about 10+ other cyclists. I love swimmers, especially when they cant ride bikes. It brings me great joy to go by these fish as they are weirded out by the fact that they can breath whenever they want while exercising. Unfortunately for them, I am now joining their breed by trying to grow a pair of my own gills, 2 points for me!

The bike portion went well, the course was hilly. I passed the 15 mile mark at 37 minutes, somehow the next mile took me 7 minutes? Im not really sure about the distance. I did have the 6th fastest bike there, which pleased me. I want a TT bike, I also want about $20k of other bike stuff, a big house in Colorado, and a beautiful wife, I guess lifes just rough sometimes. That said, I love my Zipps, they are fantastic, its also fantastic to fly by people while they have to listen to the beatiful noise of my carbon wheels, poor bastards =)

T2 went about as well as T1. I didnt wear socks and could barely get my left shoe around my heal. Some fish that I gained time on in the bike beat me out of the transition. Unfortunately he could run pretty fast and gained even more time on me in the run. Luckily he caught 2 other people in the run and I caught them too.

I finished the race in 4th. My goal was top 3, but its hard to set goals like that before you know the competion. Props to the dude who won by beating Robbies time last year by 3 minutes. Not to mention hes only 19, I cant wait to see where he is in 4 years, and hopefully Im not up against him. Also props to my buddy Ben for a great race finishing in second, and Nate Martins for finishing his first tri, 2nd in our age group and 28th overall!

After the race Nate and I went to Skyline for some camping and relaxing. We enjoyed some delicious beverages while relaxing in the wilderness. We feasted and zonked out pretty early. Monday morning we woke up early for a beatiful foggy and cool run on the Appalachian trail. Nate was able to show off his Army ranger skills by avoiding the slippery rocks and warning me to be careful every time Id nearly roll an ankle or slip on a rock. After we came back to the campsite where we ate some delicious smores oatmeal and packed up the campsite. All in all a great weekend with some great people. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment