Monday, June 7, 2010

When i dont race

When I dont race I feast Jimmie cone with the Darster...and do lots of other things too, but she desired that I mention it, and it is pretty damn good, so here you go Darster!

p.s Darster is NOT annoying/or desiring of attention, she is my best friend and she is pretty damn cool =)

After last weekends long and tiring race in Atlanta i decided it would be good to take this weekend off and prepare for the future. Unfortunately, Im not exactly sure what the future holds in terms of racing for this summer. My goal from here forward is to prepare myself for Scotland and Duathlon Worlds. I am pleased with the hilliness, of Edinburgh, as i feel this will undoubtedly benefit me in the bike portion for 2 reasons. 1 is that I do not have a time trial bike, and those with them will not reap much benefit with this course. 2 is that I weigh 135 pounds and it is much easier for me to get my ass over the mountains then it is for individuals with quads as big as my waist that can push 400 watts on flats and smoke me like a pack of cigarettes in sprints.

This weeks training started with an off week Tuesday followed by a 2x burke lake loop run on Wednesday. 2x burke lake tempos have become an integral part of my training over the past few months as they let me gage my fitness and show me how I am recovering from previous days of training. I usually aim for about 58 minutes for both the laps on the approximately 9.4 miles worth of running. Thursday i went for a long bike in preparation for a track workout with Kyle and his Dad Friday morning.

In high school I hated the track with a passion. This workout showed me again why it was i hated it so bad. After a 200,400, and an 800, i was ready to pull the plug. Instead Kyles dad was the most manly of us all and convinced us to stick with it, albeit the scorching heat and terrible humidity, combined with the p.e. class on the track made a rough workout. By the end I was dizzy with dehydration and my legs ached like none other but I was happy i had stuck with it, thanks Mr. Grimsley! On the way back to the Grimsley's household a long discussion of the benefits of caffeine was held between myself, Mr. Grimsley and Kyle. Mr. Grimsley was adamant that soda was good for racing while Kyle tried to explain to him the negative side effects of the calorie laden beverage. Unfortunately, Kyle's attempts were to no avail. I dont know if there was any real conclusion from the conversation, yet it was certainly heated and entertaining.

Saturday Mike B from Vtech and i went to Skyline for a nice hilly training ride. I showed Mike how to climb, and he showed me how to descend (even though he repeatedly tells me that I'm just calling him fat when i say this, i am not the man truly has a talent for getting down the mountain). Using his talent almost landed him into the side of the building however at the bottom of the mountain when as he descended his brakes locked up, he went across the yellow line and the other lane and then on some gravel, stopping inches from the side of a building. As i came to the building I saw Mike standing up, with his hands in the air in triumph. Needless to say, he was a little more careful the rest of the day and best of all was the end of the ride milkshakes of course, its good to see Vtech enjoys the same traditions as we do at W&M.

Overall it was a good week of training and i even got a swim in woohooo.

Week totals:
Bike: 200 miles, 4 rides
Running: 23 miles, 3 runs
Swimming: 2800, 1 swim
Day off: 1

3 comments:

  1. good times, good times, i'm informing dad about this as we speak... nats tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.. ;)

    ReplyDelete