Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial days 2010-The Tour of Atlanta, Milkshakes, and upgrades

To celebrate memorial day most people break out the grill, crack open a few beers and feast some delicious burgers and sausages. This memorial day JOA, Grayson, and I were not most people. After I got off work a little after 9 on Thursday night I drove up to JOA's house in Richmond so that we could wake up Friday morning, pick up Grayson, and drive 9 hours to Dawsonville, GA for the Tour of Atlanta Omnium, part of the Georgia Cup race series. TOA consisted of 6 stages, a Time Trial Friday night, 2 road races saturday and Sunday, each around 40 miles, and then a 55 mile road race Monday with a 7 mile climb in the MIDDLE of the race.

JOA, Grayson, and I left for the 7 o'clock Time Trial at 730 from richmond. The drive was supposed to be 9 hours, calculating time for food we figured wed be fine. We got to the race at 645, needless to say, my legs felt like shit, JOA and I both missed our start times, and then we almost crashed each other out in the parking lot as we road around on our jello feeling legs. If this was how the rest of the weekend was going to go, 40's began looking like a better idea then bicycle racing.

Fortunately with Saturday morning came the feeling of fresh legs, maybe the fact that we were all to tight to be able to function on Friday was good and helped us save our energy for the road race. Not to mention neither of us even had aerobars, while most of the competitors road around on giant trinitys and specialized shivs with disc wheels. Anyway, the Saturday morning race began and the 4 or 5 University of Souther Florida Riders took control of the pace from the start. These guys were pulling hard for the first lap of the 2 mile course. The lap ended with a .7 mile climb up to the finish. The first lap was relatively uneventful even at the hill. You could tell some people were hurting more going up (particularly those of us over 150 pounds and able to put out real watts in a sprint) thankfully, that isn't me. On the second lap about a mile before the hill some of the riders on Scenic velo club began putting the hammer down. Having a lot of riders in the field this was a pretty good decision. Props to USF and SVC using team tactics. By the time we got to the .7 mile ascent to the finish the field was hurting and now the men would be sorted out from the boys. I was probably sitting maybe 12th wheel at the bottom but as the climb continued I kept moving up. At about the 200m sign i stood up and went wheel hopping as racers tried to tear away from the pack. With about 50m to go I found myself second wheel, legs strong and confident I made a move to the outside and punished the pedals. Putting my head down I sprinted for the line and left the SVC rider, who won the TT the day before in my dust for a first place finish and my first win ever! God damn that felt good.

The afternoons road race I was full of confidence but it turns out in a flat finish trying to break away with 500m to go against guys with 32in quads doesnt work so well. Needless to say I got swallowed up by the pack and spit out the back for my worst finish of the weekend in 15th, I admit here to riding like a panzi and sitting up when I saw the first 5 or 6 wheels go by me. The next morning was a lollipop with 6 laps and a big climb at the beginning, it started in the rain and was definitely a rough race. Luckily for me the finish again was at an uphill. After 2 man break the field and I approached the 1000m mark at the uphill. I began maneuvering to the front of the field again and found myself next to a rider I named "Jittery Joe". This guy shaked uncontrollably. He was a beast though, not a ounce of fat on his body but built like a brick wall. Unfortunately, the hundreds of caffeine pills he popped during the race made him shake like mad and he began leaning all over me. After the 3rd lean I decided to give it all I had and gunned it for the finish. Winning the field sprint I came in 3rd. Sunday night was a good race for Joa and I as we began using team tactics for 4th place (JOA) and 7 th place finish for me.

Monday morning came and our legs felt like shit but hey, we were used to it know. Only a 55 mile race and 7 mile climb before the end of the tour. The weather was bleak and rainy and as I huddled under the Caffeine tent next to Tour of Cali's Thomas Rabou, I seriously considered getting in the car and napping. As we began racing the weather got better and the sun came out and it got hot. This would make the 7 mile climb a warm one, but at least it wouldnt mean a deadly descent, I was pleased. As the climb continued the field shattered. After about the first mile i decided to put the hammer down and really try to break up the field. I stood up and began hammering. I decided to do this until I felt like I had been anaerobic for long enough and until I had shelled as many people as I could. A few riders came with me, maybe 8. Swinging off the front and sucking as much air as I could now it was time to let someone else do the work as I struggled to slow down my heart rate and regain more normal breathing. Luckily, everyone else was hurting so the rate of ascent slowed for a bit. As the climb continued most of us stayed together, and at the top there were 5 riders. At the bottom of the descent 13 mi lay between us and the end of this stage. Being tactical, no one really wanted to take a pull so there was much soft pedaling occuring. A few riders caught us and some of the Cat 3's that had been dropped joined to increase the size of our pack to maybe 15. With about 1k to go and another uphill the 3 riders on top of the GC and one other who had gotten second the day before in the break took off . As we rounded the turn I looked back to see no one and i yelled that we had created a gap up the hill. Fortunately for Tim and I they two riders in front of us slammed on the gas and we began hammering to the finish line. Sitting on the back of their wheels Tim (SVC rider at the top of the GC) and I were able to sling shot around them for 1st and 2nd finishes respectively. This brought an exciting end to a great weekend of racing!

That was long as hell and now my run is going to be very hot this morning, which is quickly turning into this afternoon. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. epic man, congrats to you guys on some serious feasting

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks man, i didnt mention that between the 3 of us we drunk 16 milkshakes in 4 days...w00t!

    ReplyDelete