Sunday, June 13, 2010

And on the seventh day god created....

I can't believe its June already. This summer is definitely flying. I have to admit that after spending 3 years away from home at school it certainly makes returning home for the summer more interesting. I love my family but living in their house is certainly different than the ol' dorm room. Working is also taking quite a toll on me. I give mad props to those adult members of society that work 40 hours a week because the part-time 30 hrs a week that I put in at the Weg slays me. When I get off I can barely function. The past couple of days I have been so tired that I dont even have the desire to eat, which is HUGE for me. Fortunately on the seventh day god created ice cream, and therefore, I eat heartily even if my eyes can barely stay open.

As far as training goes this week it had its ups and downs for sure. I was talking to JOA the other day who mentioned that he hadn't really been feeling great until a couple days ago due to a sort of hang-over from the Tour of Atlanta. I think as well that this awesome memorial day adventure may have taken a toll on me as well, and hence the reason for some of my fatigue the past couple of weeks. I have come to realize that sleep is definitely critical to how I feel the next day, the nights when I worked late or stayed up too late doing useless things the next day I definitely just was not feeling it as much during my workouts. Heres how my past week looked:

Monday: Swam 3200, then ran a chill 6 immediately after before work.

Tuesday: Intended to bike nearly 100 miles but after 20 I found myself on a gravel stretch with very large gravel stones. I decided that it was not worth risking the amount of flats i could get and turned around and rode some more back in Clifton for a total of 65 miles for the day.

Wednesday: Long running workout with the Grimsley household. After about 6 miles worth of warming up did a tempo around lake accotink (approx 3.8 mile loop with TONS of gravel and lots of hills in 22:45). That puts me at a little under 6's which I was satisfied with given the surface. Glad to have a new benchmark for judging my fitness.

Thursday: Woke up in the morning intending to swim, got to braddock road and saw traffic so I changed my workout up into some digestion followed by a nap. Went for a ride in the afternoon with the Wakefield crew with my newly purchased Zipp 404's! Bryan and i rode off of the front but fortunately its not smart for me to try to hang on to pro's with quads larger than my waist so i got dropped and proceeded to get lost. Fortunately I found my way back to Wakefield after riding an hour. A sign from god that this was not a day for me to exercise? Anyway, went by my grandma's house on the way home, all in all a good day off from work!

Friday: 2 loops around Burke Lake, first one easy in 59 mid, second loop tempo in 58 low. Followed by 20 mile sustained effort ride through Clifton to Occoquan.

Saturday: Easy 20 mile recovery ride with my mom's boyfriend Mark

Sunday: 5 mile race at Burke Lake. After warming up for roughly 2 miles i was dripping sweat. This would be a rough one. The race went out in a little under 540. I had decided from the start not to make any early moves due to the heat. I sat comfortably on the leader until he began dieing after the first mile and through in a couple surges to distance myself from the guy in second. Ended up winning the race by approximately 45 seconds and setting a new course record!
Week totals
Swim: 1x for 3200m
Bike: 4x for 125 mi
Run: 4x for 36 mi

Overall, a pretty solid week. I would say this next week i want to get a little bit more swimming in but that would be a lie. I would like to get a little more miles on the bike in however, although i did have the one long ride I would like to try to log at least 2 rides a week over 2 hours. Although 36 miles isnt a ton, I do not plan on hitting that number again this week as it is a pretty big increase for me and id like to back it down a little bit so as to avoid injury this week. Next weekend assuming my Cat 3 upgrade goes through this week I will race the Tour of Washington County! As always, thanks for reading.

p.s. Congrats to Cory Scott who kicked ass this weekend in Florida in his omnium and earned MORE than enough points for his Cat 1 upgrade, what a bamf.

1 comment: